Wait! What? 3/20: Meerkat dominates SXSW, brands go mad for March Madness and more
St. Patrick’s Day, SXSW and March Madness – oh my! While you were off drinking Guinness, fighting your tech hangover from Austin, and frantically filling out your NCAA March Madness bracket, we’ve compiled a list of this week’s top stories to keep you in the know:
- From barbeque and brews to flying cars and Google Glass, here’s a look back at five standout moments from the interactive portion of this year’s SXSW festival in Austin, Texas.
- Is Facebook suffering from a severe case of me-tooism? The social media network is gearing up to turn its Messenger app into something of a platform, similar to that of Asian chat giant Line. Hmm…
- Wtf is Meerkat? The Internet’s shiny new toy, an app for live-video streaming, has gone from obscure to nearly viral in just two weeks. Brands such as Starbucks, JCPenny, NASDAQ and Red Bull are among the first to use it. C’mon, you know you want to try it…
- The time has come, basketball fans – the three most unproductive weeks of the year: March Madness. While you were off gathering teams and filling out an excessive number of brackets, these brands took to social media to participate in all of the madness.
- How did your office celebrate St. Patrick’s Day? Ours was filled with team uniforms, green booze, a good ole St. Patrick’s Day feast and an…Irish jig-off? (See evidence here). All silliness aside, here are five PR takeaways from St. Patrick’s Day. Slainte!
See anything else of note in tech media this week? Tweet us @BlancandOtus and let us know! Our thirst for news is never quenched.